A special treat for Christmas morning
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 under ripe bananas, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet over low heat. Add brown sugar, allspice, nutmeg and water and stir until sugar dissolves. Bring sauce to simmer.
- Add bananas and cook for 1 minute on each side. Remove bananas from pan to a serving dish.
- Bring sauce to a simmer and carefully add the rum. If the sauce is very hot, the alcohol will flame on its own. If not, using stick flame, carefully ignite and continue cooking until flame dies out, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. If sauce is too thin, cook for 1 to 2 minutes until it is syrupy in consistency.
- Immediately spoon the sauce over bananas and serve. Serve with waffles.
- Serve with waffles. These work well. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-buttermilk-waffles-recipe
- Serving Size: 2