Fancy pop tarts for grown-ups
For the dough
- 4 cups all-purpose flour + more for rolling
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups unsalted butter (4 sticks), cut into pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 additional egg, beaten (to brush on pastry)
For the blueberry-lavender goat cheese filling (per tart)
- 1/2 tablespoon of blueberry jam + 1 pinch lavender flowers (or 1/2 tablespoon blueberry-lavender jam if you can find it)
- 1/2 ounce soft goat cheese
For the red pepper jam and cream cheese filling (per tart)
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper jam
- 1/2 ounce cream cheese (about 1/4 inch slice off the solid style cream cheese)
For the Nutella and banana filling (per tart)
- 1/2 tablespoon Nutella
- 2 1/4-inch thick slices of banana
For the glaze
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Nutella and/or food coloring (optional)
For the tarts
- In a food processor or with a whisk, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter and blend with a pastry blender or with quick short pulses in the food processor. Add the 2 eggs and milk and pulse or stir until the dough just begins to form. Turn out into a bowl and finish combining using a spatula. Try not to overwork the dough. Divide into four even balls and shape into 3″ by 5″ squares.
- Prepare three cookie trays with parchment paper. On a heavily floured surface, roll out one square at a time until it is 9″ by 12″. Cut off excess from sides and then cut into 3″ by 4″ pieces. Remove to cookie trays, six pieces per tray.
- Brush the tart bottoms with additional beaten egg to help hold the tarts closed. Repeat the above step with tart tops after filling as desired. The cream cheese, goat cheese and Nutella all go on bottom to be topped with the red pepper jam, blueberry jam and lavender and the banana slices. Top with tart tops and press around the edges of the tarts to seal. Crimp all sides with a fork.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Put the tarts in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes. Bake for 25-27 minutes or until the tarts are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool 15 minutes before glazing.
For the glaze
- In a medium bowl with a whisk or hand mixer, combine the powdered sugar, water, butter, light corn syrup and vanilla until smooth.
- Divide the glaze into three bowls. For the Nutella glaze, whisk in one tablespoon of Nutella and 1/2 teaspoon water. Add food coloring or other flavorings to the other glazes as desired.
- Spoon or drizzle glaze over each tart and serve.