See above for ideas for substitutions and additions to this basic recipe.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk or cream
- 2/3 cup sugar or packed light brown sugar
- 4 to 8 tablespoons (1/2 to 1 stick) warm melted unsalted butter or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a standard 12-cup muffin pan or line with baking cups.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl: flour, baking powder and salt (plus baking soda and spices if using).
- Whisk together wet ingredients in another bowl: eggs, milk or cream (or yogurt, sour cream or buttermilk), butter or oil, vanilla or other extract.
- Add to the flour mixture and mix together with a few light strokes just until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix; the batter should not be smooth.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in 1 or 2 of the muffins comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes with no fruit, 20-25 minutes for variations with fruit.
- Let col for 2 to 3 minutes before removing from the pan. If not serving hot, let cool on a rack. Serve as soon as possible or store in a container when fully cool.